A 21-year-old college lacrosse player is brought to the team physician for sudden onset lower back pain for the past 4 hours. He reports that he was doing deadlifts during training and felt a pop in the lower back. Vital signs are within normal limits. Physical examination reveals a postitive straight leg raise test on the right. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the lumbar spine reveals a paracentral herniation in the L3/4 intervertebral disk compressing the right spinal nerve root.
Based on these findings, additional testing will likely reveal which of the following findings?
- A) Diminished sensation over the left medial ankle and 1st toe
- B) Diminished sensation over the left medial thigh
- C) Diminished sensation over the right lateral thigh
- D) Diminished sensation over the right medial ankle and 1st toe
- E) Diminished sensation over the right medial thigh
Dr. Ted O'Connell